Like Pinocchio  

Posted

I love Christmas.



This may not come as a shock to you, since most of my fanbase has either lived with me at some point in my life or are living with me now, but I love Christmas enough that I feel the need to reiterate. I love Christmas.


Since I am living apart from a parental unit in a formal way now, I'm not bound by rules like, wait until a reasonable time to buy a Christmas tree. So, I'd like to show you something:






This is Franklin, my Christmas tree. Franklin grew up on a lovely tree farm. Him and many other Fraser Fir trees like him were grown with special love and care so that they could be viciously chopped down and spread Christmas cheer to all. Two days after Thanksgiving, my roommates and I took Franklin home and made him all pretty. Picture courtesy of Ms. Angelina, who is handy even with my "special" camera and can get edgey shots like this without even trying.


My picture looked like this:



If you want to see an excellent family portrait taken from in front of Franklin, I recommend heading over to her blog, Visions of Mania, link to your right.


Now, hold onto your seats, because it is about to get controversial.


Carols are an important part of every Christmas season. And I feel one, a children's favorite, has been done a real injustice for years now. You know the one I mean, Rudolf the Red Nosed Raindeer. You may be asking, Tamara, what could possibly be wrong with a song that inspired not one, but several movies of decreasing quality?

The answer is nothing. Or it would be nothing if snot nosed kids didn't ruin everything. Lets examine the first line, skipping of course the introduction of Dasher and Prancer and so on.


"Rudolf the red nosed raindeer, had a very shiny nose, and if you ever saw it, you would even say it glowed."


A perfectly good line. I mean sure, one wonders why a red nose is so very shiny, but the movie clears that up pretty well. No, the problem is that after that, everyone wants to sing "Like a lightbulb!" only they don't sing it. They screech it. Then they smile like they are soooo clever. I know. I've done it too. These little additions to the song. Like Monopoly, Like George Washington (Our first president? thats really who Rudolf reminds you of?) They appeal to the snot nosed kid in all of us. But frankly, they are dumb. Rudolf doesn't need them. He is classic.


His song should be classic too, minus the screeching please.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
This entry was posted on Monday, December 1, 2008 at 1:07 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Tamara, my love, my light, my wife (have you figured out who I am yet?)

I started a blog.

Why won't you call me and give me your new cell phone number!

I haven't looked at your blog in a long time. I like it.

I miss you.

Love, Wifey

P.S. Queequeg says hi.

December 3, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Post a Comment